A concealed carry jacket is a popular choice for those individuals who wish to carry a firearm in a concealed manner. These jackets are specifically designed to allow the wearer to carry a firearm without drawing attention to themselves or causing others to feel uncomfortable or intimidated.
Concealed carry jackets come in a variety of styles and designs, ranging from casual jackets to more formal styles. They are made from a variety of materials including leather, polyester and 50% cotton and nylon mix.
It is important to understand that even if you do not live in a place where its always cold, as the weather changes, people also tend to change their everyday carry habits. Individuals who prefer to conceal carry would probably carry a smaller gun in summer as they would be wearing shorts and a t-shirt. However, in winter with a conceal carry jacket, you have options for a bigger gun.
Features of a concealed carry jacket:
All conceal carry jackets share a few common features that make them ideal for carrying a firearm.
1) One of the most important features of a concealed carry jacket is the specially designed internal holster pockets for the firearm. This pocket is typically located in a strategic and inconspicuous location on the inside of the jacket, that allows for quick and easy access to the firearm when needed. The inside of the holster pocket is designed to securely hold the firearm in place with a large velcro strip in order to keep the holster secured. This also helps so that the gun does not shift or move around while the wearer is moving or taking off the jacket. The Velcro holster allows you to adjust and position the gun inside the jacket according to your own draw routine, which ensures for a more quicker and comfortable draw.
2) Conceal carry jackets also typically have other features that help to keep the firearm concealed and secure. For example, some jackets have pockets on the outside, a flap or outer pocket, making the gun hidden inside even less visible. They also have large front hand pockets on the outside. This reduces any chance of the gun printing on the jacket. They also have Key-Locking Zippers on the inside of the jacket to prevent access to the firearm.
3) In addition to the pocket or compartment for the firearm, a concealed carry jacket may also have additional pockets and compartments for other items, such as spare magazines, a cell phone, even an extra gun or other personal items. It is important to remember to balance out the weight in both the pockets. If you keep the gun in the left side, try to keep the ammo and other stuff on the right. This will assist you to balance the weight on both sides of the jacket and also remain comfortable while conceal carrying for longer periods.
4) Another important feature of a concealed carry jacket is that you can carry bigger and heavier guns with a higher level of concealment. Often individual who prefer to conceal carry go for smaller and more compact guns . However, with a conceal carry jacket you can carry much bigger guns with ease.
5) An essential feature of these jacket is that the fabric is stretchable. This is important for increased mobility and range of motion while conceal carrying. Often they have a roll away hood with adjustable cuffs and hem for custom and comfortable fit.
6) A concealed carry jacket will provide additional coverage and protection compared to other types of concealed carry garments. A jacket can provide coverage for the entire upper body, including the arms and torso, which can be particularly beneficial in colder weather or in situations where the wearer may need to carry on the waist band for additional protection.
7) Certain conceal carry jackets are designed with extra protective padding on the arms, which can provide an added layer of defense against sharp objects like knives or swords.
6) These jackets can withstand harsher weather conditions and are normally both wind proof & water resistant. Most good quality jackets have also have a water-resistant secure chest pocket and front pockets.
7) Concealed carry jackets are available for both men and women. The design and features of a concealed carry jacket may differ between genders, to accommodate for differences in body shape and size, as well as style preferences.
Difference between a concealed carry jacket and concealed carry vest:
The main difference between a concealed carry jacket and a concealed carry vest is the style and design of the garment. While both are designed to allow the wearer to carry a firearm in a concealed manner, they have some distinct differences in terms of functionality and appearance.
A concealed carry jacket typically provides more coverage and protection than a vest, as it covers the wearer’s arms and torso. This can be beneficial in colder weather or in situations where the wearer may need more protection from the elements. Jackets also typically have more pockets and compartments than vests, providing additional storage space for other items.
On the other hand, a concealed carry vest typically has no sleeves. It is more lightweight and breathable than a jacket, making it more suitable for warmer weather or situations where the wearer may be more active. Vests also tend to have fewer pockets and compartments than jackets, which can make them less useful for carrying additional items.
Who uses a concealed carry jacket ?
Anyone who has a valid concealed carry permit (unless you live in a state that allows permitless carry) and wishes to carry a firearm in a concealed manner can wear a concealed carry jacket.
Concealed carry jackets can be particularly useful for those who live in colder climates, as the jacket can provide additional warmth and protection while still allowing for easy access to a firearm. They can also be useful for those who frequently travel or find themselves in unfamiliar or potentially dangerous situations.
Larger size men also may find it more comfortable to carry a concealed weapon using a jacket as opposed to inside the waistband (IWB) or appendix carry. The reason for this is that IWB and appendix carry require the gun to be positioned tightly against the body, which can become uncomfortable for larger men with bigger waists, especially when sitting, driving or bending.
Can you wear a concealed carry jacket without carrying a gun ?
Yes, a concealed carry jacket can be worn without carrying a gun. The jacket will still provide the same level of coverage and protection as any other jacket, and the special pockets or compartments designed for carrying a firearm can be used for other items if needed.
In fact, many concealed carry jackets are designed to look and function like regular jackets, with the added benefit of the concealed carry feature. This means that they can be worn in a variety of settings and situations, whether or not the wearer intends to carry a firearm. It also saves you a lot of money as you can use the same jacket for work as well as the weekends.
Advantages of concealed carry jackets
Concealed carry jackets can offer several advantages for individuals who carry a concealed weapon, including:
- Comfort: Concealed carry jackets are designed to be comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. These jackets allow you the full range of motion which is important for unhindered access to your firearm while conceal carrying. Furthermore, no matter how physically fit you are eventually you will feel the weight of the gun on the holster after a while. Wearing a jacket, the weight of the gun will be on the jacket and not on your waistline as the jacket will take off the load of the gun. Moreover, trying to draw while appendix carrying or wearing an OWB holster while wearing a normal heavy jacket is slow and can be quite clumsy. The chances of accidental discharge increase manifold. In this case a concealed carry jacket would be a good option.
- Discretion: Concealed carry jackets are designed to be discreet, so they do not draw attention to the fact that you are carrying a weapon. You can easily conceal carry big guns like a Glock 21 45 ACP with ease and full discretion.
- Accessibility: Concealed carry jackets are designed to provide quick and easy access to your weapon, so you can respond quickly in the event of an emergency. They often feature specially designed pockets or holsters that are positioned for easy access. Moreover, people living in colder areas who work outdoors have to factor in wearing gloves while conceal carrying. Its not easy to fire a smaller sized gun while wearing gloves, so need a bigger gun which you can use with your gloves on.
- Protection: Some concealed carry jackets are designed with additional protection features, such as padding on the arms or shoulders, which can provide an extra layer of protection in the event of an attack.
- Style: Concealed carry jackets come in a range of styles and colors, so you can choose one that suits your personal style and preferences. This can make it easier to incorporate your concealed weapon into your everyday wardrobe without sacrificing style.
- Versatility: Concealed carry jackets can be worn in a variety of different settings, including work, social events, or outdoor activities. They are also very practical and serve dual purpose of keeping you warm as well as give access to your firearm. You can wear one while going on with you everyday chores, clearing the snow off the front yard, climbing a ladder, etc.
Disadvantages of concealed carry jackets
While concealed carry jackets can offer several advantages, there are also some potential disadvantages to consider, including:
- Limited Temperature Range: Concealed carry jackets are typically designed for colder weather and may not be suitable for warmer climates or seasons. Wearing a jacket in warmer weather may be uncomfortable and can draw unwanted attention.
- Limited Clothing Compatibility: Concealed carry jackets may not be compatible with all types of clothing, particularly formal wear or tighter-fitting clothing. This can limit your clothing choices and may make it more difficult to conceal your weapon.
- Additional Cost: Concealed carry jackets can be more expensive than regular jackets, particularly those with additional protection features. This can make it more difficult for some individuals to afford or justify the cost.
- Draw Speed: Depending on the design of the concealed carry jacket, accessing your weapon may be slower or more difficult than with other types of holsters. This can be a concern in situations where you need to draw your weapon quickly. Additional practice is needed to perfect the draw of the gun from the holster.
- Constrained by the presence of your firearm :This simply means that since you are carrying a firearm, you cannot take off your jacket in the restaurant, at a friends house, workplace, etc.
A bulletproof jacket ?
Another type of jacket that has started to gain popularity is a conceal carry jacket with body armor at the front and back side. Normally the front body armor would be 12 inch x 12 inches to cover the lungs and heart and a similar panel of body armor would be placed in the back of the jacket.
The benefits of a conceal carry jacket with body armor is that it gives increased protection for the wearer in the event of a shooting or other dangerous situation, as well as the convenience of having both a firearm and vest readily accessible in one garment. Additionally, these jackets are often designed to look like regular clothing, making it easier to blend in and avoid drawing unwanted attention.
As compared to wearing a bullet proof vest, these hybrid conceal carry jackets can be taken on and off easily. Unlike a bullet proof vest that has to be worn underneath your clothes, these jackets are much more convenient, easier to conceal and discreet.
However, it’s important to note that anyone who wears a concealed carry jacket should be aware of the potential implications of wearing a garment that is designed for carrying a firearm. In some situations, such as when passing through security checkpoints or entering certain buildings, wearing a concealed carry jacket could draw unwanted attention or raise concerns among others.
It is important to remember that we all have more than one type of gun holster which we use depending upon the situation and the clothing we are wearing. Concealed carry jackets are just another option aside from traditional holsters and it does not mean that you have to use it 24/7.
Finally , it’s always a good idea to be aware of local laws and regulations regarding firearms and concealed carry, and to exercise discretion when wearing a concealed carry jacket.