Gun holsters are a necessity for those who carry a gun and there are many benefits of using a gun holster. Every gun deserves a quality holster. They are designed to keep the gun secure and to keep you and others near you safe from accidents.
The need for gun holsters has increased over time as more and more people have been purchasing and carrying guns for self-defense purposes. There are many different , but they all serve the same purpose. The benefits of a gun holster are as follows:
1. Guns Safety & to help prevent accidents:
It is important to keep your gun in a safe place and secure at all times. A gun holster not only secures your gun but also prevents accidental discharge. It is not really smart to keep your gun out in the open with no holster. Without a proper holster to secure your gun, the chances of accidents increases manifolds.
It helps to and even if you live in an open carry state it helps to your right to carry and gives a certain level of comfort to the cops who will perceive you as a responsible gun owner.
However, in case you live in one of those states that have issues with carrying a gun, a gun holster still helps you conceal the weapon and stay out of trouble.
3. Easy access to the firearm:
Whether you are in a car, outdoors or with someone a gun holster ensures that you have your gun right next to you at all times. It makes it easy to your gun as supposed to have it under your seat or in the glove compartment. It means that you can get to your gun quickly and easily. A good holster will also help you draw your gun smoothly, efficiently and reduce your draw time to a minimum.
4. Personal Comfort:
Keeping a loaded gun in your jeans is not really a good idea. Its not safe nor is it comfortable and its certainly not recommended by anyone. Getting a gun holster gives you both the added comfort and confidence for keeping your gun with you for prolonged periods. It is important that the holster be easy to put on and take off. This helps reduce your draw time and in case of emergencies, every seconds counts.
5. Protecting the Trigger Guard:
A gun holster helps to ensure that trigger is not easily accessible by your fingers or any other objects. Protecting the trigger guard is an essential function of all holsters. If your holster does not protect your trigger guard, you should not use it as it increases the chances of accidental discharge. Even an object such as a pencil caught in the trigger area can be the cause of accident.
6. Good retention:
Retention is important for any holster. Your gun should not fall out from the holster in the case of any physical alternation with an individual or while running away from danger. Retention is important as the last thing you would want is your attacker getting hold of your gun.
Good retention includes making it difficult for anyone to remove the gun from the holster. Today there are four levels of retention found on holsters with level 1 being the most basic retention and level 4 retention being the highest.
- Level 1 retention is your basic retention that holds the gun in the holster. This is the natural friction and the grip that is inherent in the holster.
- Level II retention includes the basic level I retention along with an additional support such as a strap or thumb break. This is an additional support to help retain your gun in the holster in addition to the friction and natural retention of the holster.
- Level III includes a self locking system in addition to the strap and natural friction of the holster to retain the gun. Level III retention has three levels or steps of retention that you need to go through before you can begin to draw your gun.
- Level IV has three retention systems in addition to the natural or passive retention that is built in all holster. These type of holster often have a second strap or include a slight twist of the holster to release the gun. This is the most secure type of holster with regards to retention levels. Level III and IV retention holster are normally used by law enforcement agencies in the US.
7. Protect your gun:
A gun holster will also help protect your gun from the elements such as dirt and moisture. It will help keep your gun clean, reduce its overall maintenance and prevent the gun from being damaged.